Today I want to talk to you about Mondo’s Trip Cancellation Insurance. It’s a Spanish company, but it ensures everyone around the world.
I want to tell you first that there are different conditions if you contract on the website in Spanish or on the website in English; the products are different.
If you know or dare with Spanish, my recommendation is to hire the trip cancellation insurance on the web in Spanish here. I’ll tell you why below.
There are more than 40 reasons for canceling a trip (in the Spanish web version), so today, I want to talk to you about trip cancellation insurance and tell you my personal opinion.
If for any of the reasons that I will tell you below, you can not enjoy traveling, Mondo’s trip cancellation insurance will allow you to recover the non-refundable expenses you have made, such as transportation or accommodation costs.
The most common causes of travel often overturned are a family member’s severe illness or work reasons. If you’ve bought trip cancellation insurance, you’ll be able to get back the money you’ve spent.
- Recommended: Travel insurance with COVID-19 coverage.
Mondo Trip Cancellation Insurance Includes
The top thing to highlight about trip cancellation insurance:
- Reimbursement for your reservation expenses.
- Custom: Ensure only the actual cost of your trip, no more, no less.
- Une enjoyed holiday refund: If you are forced to advance your return, you will be entitled to compensation for holidays not enjoyed. (Spanish web)
- COVID-19 COVERAGE: Trip cancellation will also cover non-refundable expenses if you have to cancel your trip after you or your travel companion test positive or if a close relative develops an unexpected emergency medical condition or dies, including COVID-19 cases. Considering that for the trip cancellation guarantee to apply, the policy must be contracted on the day that the trip booking is confirmed or within the seven (7) days following said confirmation.
In addition, it has the best prices on the market.
You want to know about Mondo Trip cancellation insurance, read on. I’ll tell you everything in detail below.
Is it the same Trip Cancellation or flight cancellation?
Do not confuse the cancellation insurance of flights offered after purchasing air tickets with travel cancellation insurance.
The first only returns (a part) of the amount you spent on the flight, and the second, includes a refund of what you have spent on flights, vacation packages, accommodation, excursions, etc. The difference is huge!
My experience with Mondo’s Trip cancellation insurance
As you know, we’ve been traveling with Mondo travel insurance for two years. For us, it is peace of mind to travel with travel insurance,
It would be best to buy travel cancellation insurance when you buy air tickets long in advance and do not know what can happen.
As happened the year we came to live in France because of Fer’s work (2018). In February, we saw a steal to go on the December long weekend, and obviously, we bought the flight and made some reservations, which you think nothing is going to change… and… you’re going to live in another country…
On our case applied the case “for work reasons”: “Incorporation into a new job of the insured in a different company with an employment contract.”
My recommendation is that you always take out travel cancellation insurance. Especially if you buy the ticket many months in advance, you never know what can happen.
Also, as you’ll see in the examples at the end, they’re cheaper than you can imagine.
Pros and cons of Mondo Trip cancellation insurance
Why Buy Trip Cancellation with Mondo?
- Trip cancellation will also cover non-refundable expenses. For the trip cancellation guarantee to apply, the policy must be contracted when the trip booking is confirmed or within the seven (7) days following said confirmation.
- The best thing about Mondo Insurance is that it’s customizable. This ensures the actual cost of your trip. Customize it to suit you!
- You are refunded for holidays you have not enjoyed. That is, if you are forced to advance the date of your return, being already on vacation, you are refunded the amount of the holidays not enjoyed. (Spanish web)
- Includes COVID-19 coverage on all your travel and cancellation insurance.
- You have an exclusive app for customers.
- 24-hour customer service
- Medical consultation through the app
Causes covered in Mondo travel cancellation insurance (English Web)
For health reasons
- Sudden death, illness, or accident of the Insured.
- Sudden death, illness, or accident of the Insured’s first-degree relatives.
- Sudden death, illness, or accident of a person in his or her traveling party.
COVID-19 COVERAGE: Trip cancellation will also cover non-refundable expenses if you have to cancel your trip after you or your travel companion test positive or if a close relative develops an unexpected emergency medical condition or dies, including COVID-19 cases.
For other reasons
- The Foreign Affairs Department of the Insured’s country of residence issues a Travel Advisory recommending that people do not travel to a specific region or country. This advisory was first issued after the trip was booked.
- If the Insured’s home or business premises becomes uninhabitable (within 14 days of the start date of the trip).
- On a summons of the Insured as a party or witness in a judicial proceeding. Proceedings against the Insured that commenced before the insurance contract signature date are expressly excluded from this cover.
- Involuntary termination of the insured person or a member of their traveling party before the trip start date.
- Police summons for robbery at the Insured’s habitual residence within 14 days of the trip start date.
Causes covered in Mondo travel cancellation insurance (Spanish Web)
For health reasons
- Serious illness, serious accident or death of:
- I. The insured, his spouse, ancestors, descendants of up to third grade, parents, children, brothers, grandparents, grandchildren, brothers-in-law, sons-in-law, daughters-in-law, in-laws, uncles, nephews, great-grandparents, and great-grandchildren.
- Ⅱ. The insured’s professional replacement provided that the position or responsibility must be assumed by the insured.
- Unexpected call for an organ transplant from the insured or a family member.
- Unexpected call for surgery:
- Insured or family member.
- Professional replacement of the insured.
- Call for medical tests of the insured or family member in first grade, performed by public health as an emergency.
- Medical quarantine as a result of an accidental event.
- Need to store the insured or spouse’s bed by prescription as a result of a risky pregnancy.
- Complications of pregnancy or miscarriage, which require at the opinion of a medical professional, rest in bed.
NOTE: Cause number 1, illness or death of the insured or family member, also includes cases of COVID-19.
For legal reasons
- The call of the insured as a party, witness or jury in a Civil, Criminal or Labor Court.
- Call as a member of a polling station.
- Call for presentation and signature of official documents.
- Knowledge after the contracting of the reservation, of the tax obligation to make a parallel income declaration, the fee to be settled exceeding 600 euros.
- Knowledge after the contracting of the Traffic Penalty reservation of more than 600 euros is understood for the purposes of this coverage that the infringement has been committed after the date of the contracting of the reservation.
- Call for divorce proceedings.
- Judicial declaration of suspension of payments of a company that prevents the insured person from developing his professional activity.
- Delivery of a child for adoption.
- Police detention on non-criminal grounds.
For work reasons
- Dismissal of the insured for non-disciplinary reasons, provided that at the beginning of the insurance there is no verbal or written communication.
- Dismissal of the insured’s parents provided that their trip had been paid for by them.
- Presentation to examinations of official oppositions convened through a public body after the subscription of the insurance.
- Incorporation to a new job of the insured in a different company with an employment contract.
- Holiday change unilaterally decided by the company.
- The forced transfer of work for a period of more than 3 months.
- Presentation of Employment Regulation File that directly affects the insured person as an employed person, seeing his working day reduced, in whole or in part.
- The requirement for urgent and inexcusable incorporation into Armed Forces, Police or Firefighters.
- Extension of employment contract.
For extraordinary causes
- Serious damage as a result of theft, fire, or other damage.
- Acts of aerial, land or naval piracy, which makes it impossible for the insured to start or continue his journey (terrorist acts are excluded).
- The official declaration of a catastrophic zone at the place of residence of the insured person or the place of destination of the trip. This guarantee also covers the official declaration of a catastrophic zone of transit to the destination. This is the only way to access it.
- On the recommendation not to travel to the government’s destination through the competent Ministry carried out after the contracting of the insurance.
- Cancellation of the person who is to accompany the insured person, registered in the same trip and insured in this same policy. The cancellation originates from one of the causes listed in this guarantee and, because of this, the insured had to travel alone.
- Theft of documentation or luggage makes it impossible for the insured to start the trip.
- Breakdown in the vehicle owned by the insured person prevents the start or continuity of the trip.
- Expenses of transfer of the insured person’s trip to another person for one of the guaranteed causes.
- Cancellation of a wedding ceremony, provided that the insured trip is a bride and groom’s trip or honeymoon.
- Non-granting of visas for unjustified reasons.
- Abandonment of the trip for a delay of more than 24 hours in the means of transport connected with the disappearance of the object of the trip.
- Award of official scholarships that prevent the realization of the trip.
- Change of school with the school course already started.
- Obtaining a trip and /or stay similar to that contracted, free of charge, in a public draw and before a notary.
When to buy travel cancellation insurance?
Travel cancellation insurance usually has restrictions on contracting after some days have passed since the trip is booked.
That is, in many cases, if you buy your trip on July 1st and remember that you have to secure it on July 10th, many insurers will tell you no.
For Mondo travel insurance, there are options for all situations:
- Force Majeure Cancellation Insurance: 24-hour limit since you made the first booking. (Only Spanish web)
- Other classic insurance (includes normal travel cancellation): 7 days from your first booking.
- Premium cancellation insurance and other premium insurance: no daily limit (Only Spanish version)
On the English version web: For the trip cancellation guarantee to apply, the policy must be contracted on the day that the trip booking is confirmed or within the seven (7) days following said confirmation.
Can I cancel my trip because of the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Trip cancellation will also cover non-refundable expenses if you have to cancel your trip after you or your travel companion test positive or if a close relative develops an unexpected emergency medical condition or dies, including COVID-19 cases.
What should I do in case of trip cancellation?
In the event of cancellation before starting the trip, please contact email@example.com providing the documentation related to the trip reservations as well as the one that proves the cause of cancellation of the trip, and they will handle that for you.
Price of travel cancellation insurance
Here are some examples of two typical trips: a week-long U.S. trip and a week-long trip around Europe.
Travel to the United States
You’re going to the United States for a 10-day from the UK. You’ve made your reservations less than a week ago. You want to insure 2000 euros per traveler in case of cancellation of your trip.
The price is (with a 5% discount) 74,59 euros and includes 8 cancellations covered in the English version.
The price is 57,13 € or 63,29 € (with a 5% discount) with 17 or 39 cancellation reasons covered. Both include the refund for unenjoyed holidays in the Spanish web version.
You know that for this price, you are not worth risking losing the amount of your vacation.
Journey through Europe from the UK
Another example, you have seen a very well-priced flight from the UK to some country in Europe, you hire hotels and excursions because it is an excellent offer, but it is a long time, and you do not know what can happen.
A little higher, I told you about our experience, which looks a lot like this example…
You want to ensure about €500 per passenger. With our discount, the price of the insurance is 18.65 euros with 8 cancellation reasons included.
How I said to you above, here you can see the different options on the Spanish web.
More about travel insurance
- Best international travel insurance
- Travel insurance with covid-19 coverage
- Working Holiday Insurance
Last Updated on 29 September, 2023 by Veronica
Disclosure: Some of the links on this post are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Vero, a seasoned traveler, has explored 25 countries and lived in five, gaining a rich perspective and fostering an infectious passion for travel. With a heart full of wanderlust, Vero uncovers the world’s hidden gems and shares insights, tips, and planning advice to inspire and assist fellow adventurers. Join Vero and let the shared passion for travel create unforgettable memories.