Lisbon it is one of those cities where one wants to stay and live, not only for its seven hills, typical tiles, medieval neighborhoods, its nightlife or traditional music (the “Fado”); goes beyond the obvious, it is its enviable weather, the one that does not alter you with abrupt changes, that has friendly and hospitable people, who are from the oldest capitals in Europe… Rather, it’s complete and you should visit it.
When you finish the tour on this legendary metropolis, I invite you to explore nearby areas so that you have an experience unbeatable on your holiday.
Its transport system is very good but you will have to comply with its schedules, so when you visit the tourist areas you will not be able to stay a little longer if you want, in this way, traveling Lisbon renting a vehicle is the option that many tourists prefer to make the most of the time.
Here are four day trips near Lisbon that will complete your trip.
Índice de contenidos
Sintra, near Lisbon
This Portuguese villa as taken out of fairytale, it’s my first recommendation, but to know all its majesty, it will be necessary to take advantage every minute of the day because, I don’t tell lies, Sintra drives anyone crazy with such beauty.
This city was the holiday residence of nobles and monarchs, so, you can already imagine that each of their places is special and worth admiring.
In one day you will appreciate:
- Palacio da Pena: It stands out of all places for its beauty, its design, its gardens and the breathtaking view, as the palace is located at the top of a hill 12 minutes from the center of Sintra if you travel by car. Pay attention to the visiting hours, as many people go. If you are driving, it is best to go early so you can park easily.
- Cabo da Roca: “Where the earth ends and the sea begins,” is the westernmost place in Eastern Europe and for that reason it is so famous. In their stunning 140-metre cliffs, you’ll be able to see their beautiful views of the sea and how the waves break with unsettling force.
- Praia da Duquesa: On this beautiful beach you can take a boat ride or canoeing, partying, having a cocktail night or just swimming, tan and try a delicious traditional dish in one of its many beachfront restaurants.
- Quinta Regaleira: It’s my favorite place in Sintra because it just seems taken from a fantasy movie; a palace, a lake, a greenhouse, turrets, a beautiful chapel and my favorite… the starter well that has spiral shape and nine floors.
Castelo dos Mouros: Nestled in the middle of lush forests and next to the Palacio da Pena, is this medieval fortress that despite being in ruins, its ostentatious views leave more than one with its mouth open.
Costa de Caparica
At 30 kilometres long, it is the most great beach across Europe, loved by Portuguese tourists but not well known by foreign travellers; it’s an ideal destination if you want to surf or partying until the early hours of the morning. But if you want something quiet, equally excellent and after a long day of tanning you, swimming or drinking some ginjinhas (traditional liquor from Lisbon) , going to dinner a delicious cod in this area would be the plus at the end of the day.
Beaches I invite you to:
- Fonte da Telha Beach: Great if you’re going with family or friends and you’re looking for peace of mind.
- Praia da Morena: Ideal for surfing.
- Praia da Cova do Vapor: It’s the best place to do flysurfing. It has small ports and free parking if you are traveling by car.
Praia da Bela Vista, Praia 19 or Praia de Adica: if you like to practice nudism.
It is the fishing town of Lisbon and independent of being an industrial area, has paradisíac beaches and lots of vegetation; the food costs and nightlife are very low compared to other cities, as it is designed to satisfy residents and not tourists foreigners, this way becomes an incredible option if you want to save money; the great thing is that you can go fishing with the same sailors and have that local experience.
Four essential tours:
- Troia Peninsula: It is a paradisiacal peninsula and exclusive where you can perform hikes or bike to deserted forests and beaches.
- Parque Natural da Arrábida: Located between Setúbal and Sesimbra, it has unparalleled beauty; cliffs and plenty of vegetation, where you can play sports such as climbing, scuba diving or having a hike guided by the park.
- Jose Maria da Fonseca Wines House Museum: It’s an old winery that has existed since 1834, where you can make a tasting of the best wines from Europe.
- Fort of San Felipe: It’s a Castle from whose esplanade you’re going to get beautiful views of the city, the Sierra de Arrábida, the Troia peninsula and the estuary of the Sado River.
It was a fishing village, but now with the great travel demand and construction of hotel, has become a place of holidays not only for its beaches, but because it still has activities such as windsurfing.
And if you’re not staying in hotels, the option camping is also enabled for a more relaxed plan.
Activities in this beautiful area:
- Castelo de Sesimbra: You can go by day to admire the beautiful views of the sea, or at night to appreciate the brightness of the wings; visit the Church of Santa Maria do Castelo or have a picnic in the park.
- Beach Bicas: You can kayak, go on a tour, swim and give your palate a taste with a delicious and freshly caught fish from the area.
- Cape Espichel: At the end of the day, you can go to see the lighthouse, the small chapel of Ermida da Memória, remains and footprints of dinosaurs or just watch the radiant sunset.
Lisbon and its surroundings have so much beauty and history that I assure you you will want to return and of course, if it is a place where the traditional and the modern mix. That said, so you can go more comfortable, Booking a car will always be my main recommendation, it is not expensive unless you want a luxury car, but in any case you can opt for a car that will fit your budget, I guarantee you will not regret it.
Prepare your trip to Portugal
- What to see in Porto in 2 days
- Legend of the Rooster of Portugal
- Algarve beaches
- Portugal in 15 days
- What to see in Lisbon
- Guided Tour in Lisbon
Book Your Trip
Book Your Flight
Find a cheap flight by using Skyscanner.
Book Your Accommodation
You can book your hostel, hotel or apartments on Booking.com.
Best companies for activities
Check out Civitatis.com and find the best tours in English (French, Spanish and Italian)
Looking for the best companies to save money with?
Check out my resource page for the best companies to use when you travel! I list all the ones I use to save money when I travel – and I think will help you too! (Is in Spanish yet)
Some of the links you’ll find in this article are from affiliates. This means that if you contract any of the services mentioned through the link we provide, we will receive a small commission, for you the price will be the same or you will have a discount. This way you help us to maintain the blog and continue to create content useful for your travels. Thanks a lot!
We are not native English speakers but we have decided to translate our post to English so we can share it with the whole world. If you see any spelling mistake or something, please let us know, it is so important to us. If you do so, we can improve our post and also our English knowledge! Thanks in advance!!!