If you plan a trip to Turkey, you will probably want to visit Cappadocia, a unique region known for its rocky landscapes and hot-air balloon flights. If you are in Istanbul, Turkey’s largest city, there are several options to reach Cappadocia.
One way to get to Cappadocia from Istanbul is by bus. Companies such as Kamilkoc, Metro Turizm and Nevsehir Seyahat offer several daily routes between Istanbul and Cappadocia.
Another option is to take a flight from Istanbul International Airport. There are several daily flights covering the route between Istanbul and Cappadocia and the flight duration is approximately one and a half hours.
If you prefer to drive, you can rent a car from Istanbul to Cappadocia. The journey takes about 9 hours and is a good option if you want to make a few stops along the way to explore other Turkish towns and villages.
In summary, there are several options to reach Cappadocia from Istanbul, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.
How to Go from Istanbul to Cappadocia
There are several transportation options to get from Istanbul to Cappadocia. Choose the one that best suits your travel style, time, and budget.
One of the most convenient options is to hire an excursion from Istanbul to Cappadocia. You have several options, from a 1-day trip to a 6-day tour.
Hiring an all-inclusive excursion is the best option when you don’t want to worry about anything.
Another option, which was the one we chose, was to travel by plane on our own and book the tours and visits in Cappadocia since there were four of us and it was very good value for money to book the private tours.
Regarding the balloon flight, I recommend booking it in advance, because if you do it there, they may change the price from one day to another, “due to increased demand” and if you do not pay, you will not be able to fly… (That’s happened to us)
Bus is an economical option to reach Cappadocia from Istanbul. Several bus companies offer services from Istanbul to Cappadocia, such as Kamilkoc, Metro Turizm and Nevsehir Seyahat.
The bus trip takes approximately 12 hours and departs from Istanbul’s main bus station. Once in Nevsehir, you can take a local bus or cab to reach your accommodation in Cappadocia.
This option is perfect for people traveling on a budget but who have enough time to be able to take a bus that takes 12 hours to travel.
- Related reading: 3 Days in Cappadocia: What to see and how to organize the trip
The fastest option to get to Cappadocia from Istanbul is to take a flight. There are several daily flights from Istanbul airport to Nevsehir airport, which is the closest airport to Cappadocia.
The flight time is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. Airlines offering flights to Nevsehir include Turkish Airlines, Pegasus Airlines, and AnadoluJet.
For me it is the best and fastest option; if you book it in advance, you can find very good prices.
Another option is to take a train from Istanbul to Kayseri, which is one of the cities in Cappadocia. The train trip takes approximately 13 hours and several daily train options exist. Once in Kayseri, you can take a local bus, or cab or rent a car to reach your accommodation.
In summary, there are several transportation options to get from Istanbul to Cappadocia, such as bus, plane and train. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages, such as cost, travel time and convenience.
It is recommended to choose the option that best suits your needs and budget.
One option that we were considering was to rent a car to go from Istanbul to Cappadocia.
The distance between Istanbul and Cappadocia is 770km and you will pass through Ankara, the capital of Turkey and other picturesque places.
Renting a car can be a good idea if you plan to do everything on your own, have time available and will be making several stops along the way.
Keep in mind that those 770 kilometers will be done in about 9 hours, to that you have to add some stops to rest or if you see places that catch your attention.
Tips on How to Get Around Cappadocia
- Renting a car: One of the most convenient ways to get around Cappadocia is to renting a car. There are many car rental companies in the area and prices are quite reasonable. With a car, you can explore the region at your own pace and visit the most important tourist sites.
- Take a hot air balloon tour: Cappadocia is famous for its hot air balloon flights, which offer breathtaking views of the region. If you plan to take a balloon tour, be sure to book in advance, as tours fill up quickly.
- Use public transportation: If you don’t feel comfortable driving in an unfamiliar region, you can use public transportation to get around Cappadocia. There are buses that connect nearby towns and villages, and the prices are quite cheap.
- Walk or bike: Cappadocia is a beautiful and unique region, and one of the best ways to explore it is by walking or biking. There are many hiking and biking trails in the region, and you can rent bicycles from many local stores. If you are a beginner, rent an electric bike suitable for the terrain.
- Hire a tour guide: If you want to learn more about the history and culture of the region, you can hire a tour guide. Local tour guides are very knowledgeable and can offer you a more enriching experience in Cappadocia. In addition, they can take you to and from the hotel to all the places you hire.
How to Get There With a Cappadocia Tour
There are many excursion options to reach Cappadocia from Istanbul. Here are 5 that may be the most interesting ones I have found online.
Cappadocia in One Day
This one-day tour is perfect for people with little time to visit Cappadocia. The one-day tour includes the flight from Istanbul to Cappadocia round trip by Turkish Airlines, tour guide, meals, entrance fees to the most important places in the region, but not the balloon flight.
Istanbul to Cappadocia 2 Days All Inclusive
This two-day tour includes the most important sites of Cappadocia, entrance fees, flights, one night hotel, and some other things. In addition, it gives you time to take a hot air balloon flight, which is offered as an option.
It can be a good option to enjoy the balloon flight.
4 Day Cappadocia Tour from Istanbul
This 4-day tour starts in Istanbul and is done by minivan. The tour includes 3 nights of accommodation, of which 1 night is in Ankara and the other two in Cappadocia in 4 or 5 star hotels.
Please note that the flight from Kayseri to Istanbul is not included, so you can depart from Cappadocia to your next destination, return home or return to Istanbul.
This tour is very complete, it is like a mini road trip in a group and with a guide. Take a look here to learn more and see if it fits into your travel plans.
6-Day Tour of Cappadocia, Pamukkale and Ephesus
This minivan tour takes you from Istanbul to fascinating places like Ankara, Saratli, Uçhisar, Goreme, Konya, Pamukkale, Ephesus or Izmir on this 6-day tour from Istanbul, an ideal way to see the best of Turkey.
The tour includes 5 nights hotel accommodation, English speaking guide, transfers and entrance fees to all sites visited.
It can be a good option to get to know a great number of places with an expert guide.
How to Get There by plane
If you want to get to Cappadocia from Istanbul in the fastest way, the plane is the best option. The flight time is approximately one hour and a half. Kayseri airport is the closest airport to Cappadocia, although you can also fly into Nevşehir airport.
Airlines offering flights from Istanbul to Kayseri include Turkish Airlines, Pegasus Airlines and AtlasGlobal.
Prices may vary depending on the season and how far in advance tickets are purchased. Generally, it is more economical to purchase tickets in advance.
Once you arrive at Kayseri airport, you can take a bus, a cab or hire a transfer to reach your hotel in Cappadocia.
Havaş buses are an economical and safe option that will take you directly to Göreme, one of the main tourist destinations in Cappadocia. The cost of the ticket is approximately 20 Turkish Liras.
How to Get There by Bus
If you prefer to travel by bus to Cappadocia from Istanbul, several options are available. Below are some of the bus companies that offer transportation services between the two cities:
- NEVŞEHİR SEYAHAT: This bus company offers several daily services between Istanbul and Nevşehir, the closest city to Cappadocia. The trip takes about 11 hours and prices vary according to the type of seat you choose.
- ÖZLEM TURİZM: This bus company also offers daily services between Istanbul and Nevşehir. Prices are similar to NEVŞEHİR SEYAHAT and travel time is approximately 11 hours.
- NEŞELİ TUR: This bus company offers daily services between Istanbul and Göreme, one of the main tourist destinations in Cappadocia. The trip takes about 12 hours and the prices are similar to those of the other companies.
It is important to note that travel times may vary depending on traffic conditions and other factors. In addition, it is advisable to book tickets in advance to ensure you have a seat at the time that suits you best.
How to Get There by Rental Car
If you prefer to drive, the distance between Istanbul and Cappadocia is approximately 750 km and the travel time is about 8 hours. The most direct route is to take the D260 road to Ankara and then follow the D300 road to Nevsehir.
It is important to note that driving in Turkey can be a bit chaotic and the roads can be dangerous.
Also, if you are not familiar with Turkish roads, it can be difficult and stressful to drive. Make sure you have an up-to-date GPS and carry a printed map with you.
If you decide to rent a car, several car rental companies in Istanbul offer a wide variety of vehicles. Check here for prices.
Tips for Traveling From Istanbul to Cappadocia
If you are planning your trip from Istanbul to Cappadocia, here are some tips that may be useful to make your trip more comfortable and safe:
- Choose the right means of transportation: There are several options to travel from Istanbul to Cappadocia, such as plane, bus, car or train. Each means of transportation has its advantages and disadvantages. If you want to get there quickly, the plane is the best option, although it is the most expensive. If you prefer to save money, the bus may be a good option, as it is cheaper than the plane.
- Book in advance: If you decide to travel by plane or bus, it is advisable to book your tickets in advance, especially if you are traveling in high season. This way, you can be sure to get the best prices and location for your travel date.
- Be prepared for the climate: Cappadocia has a dry, continental climate, with very cold temperatures in winter and very hot in summer. So, depending on the time of year you travel, be sure to bring the right clothes.
- Hire a guide: If you want to learn more about the history and culture of Cappadocia, it is recommended that you hire a tour guide. This way, you can make the most of your visit and get to know the most interesting places in the region.
- Try the local food: Cappadocia is known for its delicious food, such as kebabs, baklava and gözleme. Be sure to try the local food and enjoy Turkish cuisine.
Where to Stay in Cappadocia
Cappadocia has many accommodation options, from low cost to whatever you want to spend. It all depends on the location and category of the hotel. But you will be surprised at the prices of the typical cave hotels.
Low Cost: Narcissos Cave Hotel. This hotel is located in Urgup. It is a very cool cave hotel, with breakfast and car rental service.
Average price: Sinasos Star Hotel. This hotel is located in Nevsehir.
High price: Cappadocia Caves Hotel. This hotel is located in Goreme and from its terrace you can enjoy views of the balloons flying at sunrise. It is perfect for couples and offers buffet, vegetarian and vegan menus.
As the number of activities offered by a trip to Cappadocia are many, it is always advisable to travel with insurance to Turkey. Although you will most likely not use it, for your peace of mind it is better to go with your travel insurance.
You know that we use Mondo travel insurance on all our trips. For this reason, we have a 5% discount for our readers. You only have to contract it through the link that I leave you in the blog.
In summary, there are several options to go from Istanbul to Cappadocia, depending on your preferences and budget. If you are looking for the fastest option, the plane is the best alternative, although it is also the most expensive.
If you prefer to save money and don’t mind spending more time on the road, bus and train are viable options.
If you decide to travel by plane, be sure to book your tickets in advance to get better prices. If you prefer to go by bus or train, you can also book your ticket in advance to ensure a comfortable seat.
Whichever option you choose, be sure to enjoy the beautiful scenery Turkey has to offer along the way. Have a good trip!
Plan Your Trip to Turkey
- What to See in Istanbul in 4 Days
- Turkey 9-Day Itinerary: Istanbul & Cappadocia
- Airport Transfers
- Hire Guided Tours
- Book your travel insurance and get a 5% discount
Last Updated on 2 November, 2023 by Veronica
Disclosure: Some of the links on this post are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Vero, a seasoned traveler, has explored 25 countries and lived in five, gaining a rich perspective and fostering an infectious passion for travel. With a heart full of wanderlust, Vero uncovers the world’s hidden gems and shares insights, tips, and planning advice to inspire and assist fellow adventurers. Join Vero and let the shared passion for travel create unforgettable memories.