If you plan a trip to Italy, one of the most popular circuits is from Rome to Florence. And the fastest and most comfortable way to do it is by train.
In this article, we will explain how to get from Rome to Florence by train and provide you with helpful information so you can plan your trip effectively.
One of the most popular train options for traveling from Rome to Florence is to take the La Freccia Rossa high-speed train. This modern and luxurious train will take you to your destination in just 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Other train options, such as Trenitalia and Italo, offer various schedules and prices to suit your travel needs.
In this article, we tell you how to book your train tickets and provide you with useful information about schedules and prices.
Disclosure: Some of the links on this post are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.
If you plan a trip from Rome to Florence, the best option is to take the train. Trains are comfortable, fast, and frequent, making them a popular choice for travelers.
Schedules and frequency
Trains from Rome to Florence operate frequently throughout the day. However, schedules may vary depending on the season and day of the week, so checking schedules before purchasing tickets is important.
You can find information about schedules and frequencies on the train companies’ websites or on ticket booking websites.
Duration of the Trip
Train travel time from Rome to Florence varies depending on the type of train you take. High-speed trains take approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes, while regional trains can take up to 3 hours.
It is important to note that high-speed trains are usually more expensive than regional trains, but they are also faster and more comfortable.
In addition, it is important to remember that travel time can be affected by factors such as intermediate stops, traffic, and weather conditions.
Therefore, it is advisable to plan your trip in advance and check schedules and travel conditions before departure.
Purchase of tickets
If you want to travel by train from Rome to Florence, you should buy your tickets in advance to make sure you have a seat and get the best prices. Here we tell you everything you need to know to buy your train tickets:
Where to Buy Train Tickets
There are several options to buy your train tickets from Rome to Florence:
- Online: You can buy them online on the websites of train companies such as Trenitalia and Save a Train.
- At the train station: If you prefer to buy your tickets in person, you can do so at the Rome Termini train station or the Florence Santa Maria Novella train station.
- At travel agencies: You can also buy your train tickets at travel agencies in Italy.
The price of the train from Rome to Florence varies depending on several factors, such as the class of the train, the time of year, and how far in advance you buy your tickets.
In general, the cheapest fares are available if you buy in advance and travel at off-peak times.
|Train class||Average price|
Remember that prices may vary depending on the season and how far in advance you buy your tickets. If you want to get the best prices, we recommend that you buy them at least one month in advance.
Planning the trip
Before embarking on your train journey from Rome to Florence, it is important that you have the necessary documents with you to avoid any inconvenience. Be sure to bring the following with you:
- Passport or ID card: make sure you have your passport or ID card with you, as it is mandatory for all international travelers.
- Train ticket: it is important that you have your printed or digital train ticket with you on your mobile or tablet.
- RECOMMENDED READING: 75 Things to Do and See in Florence
What to Pack
To make your train trip comfortable and enjoyable, you must take with you what you need. Here are some recommendations:
- Comfortable clothing: be sure to wear comfortable clothing suitable for the season. If you travel during the winter, don’t forget to bring a coat and scarf.
- Comfortable footwear: choose shoes for walking and exploring Florence. Don’t forget that the city has many cobblestone streets.
- Water bottle: it is important to stay hydrated during the trip, so we recommend carrying a reusable water bottle.
- Sunscreen: if you travel during the summer, it is important to bring sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun.
- Camera: Florence is a beautiful city with many places to visit and photograph, so we recommend you bring a camera to capture the best moments.
If you are planning to travel from Rome to Florence by train, here are some valuable tips that can help you make your trip a more pleasant and smooth experience:
- Book your tickets in advance for the best prices and ensure you have a seat on the train.
- If you are traveling with heavy luggage, make sure you can easily handle it on the stairs and walkways of the train station.
- If you are on a limited budget, consider traveling on regional trains instead of high-speed trains, as they tend to be cheaper.
- Arrive early at the train station to avoid any mishap or delay.
- Be sure to validate your ticket before boarding the train at the validation machines located at the station.
- If you are traveling in high season, consider reserving a seat in the first-class car for more comfort and space.
- If you want to save money, consider bringing a snack on the train.
- If you have any questions or need assistance, do not hesitate to ask the staff at the station or on board the train.
By following these tips, you can enjoy a carefree train ride from Rome to Florence.
Plan Your Trip to Florence
- Visit Fiesole, perfect for sunset
- The Cathedral Santa Maria del Fiore
- 75 visits in the Florentine city
- Get your travel insurance
- Best Things to Do in Florence in 3 days
- Guided tour of the Uffizi Gallery
- What to see in Rome in 4 days
Last Updated on 6 September, 2023 by Veronica